Group Lifestyle Balance™ Program in the Community
The Group Lifestyle BalanceTM Program provides education, encouragement and the tools necessary to help individuals reach their healthy lifestyle goals. This program is designed for non–diabetic, overweight individuals age 18 and older who have pre–diabetes and/or the metabolic syndrome. These conditions increase the risk for developing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. At the conclusion of the initial 6 month Core Program (including 12 weekly, 1 bi-weekly and 3 monthly sessions) , individuals will continue with monthly Post Core maintenance sessions for ongoing support and guidance. The Group Lifestyle BalanceTM program is designed for overweight adults who are at risk for developing diabetes.
The goals of the Group Lifestyle BalanceTM program are to:
- Lose 7% of weight through healthy eating.
- Do 150 minutes of brisk, physical activity each week
Individuals who enroll in the Group Lifestyle BalanceTM program will:
- Participate in a one-year Group Lifestyle BalanceTMProgram that includes
- Core – consisting of 12 weekly sessions
- Transition – consisting of 4 bi-weekly/monthly sessions
- Support – consisting of 6 monthly sessions
- Self–Monitor weight
- Track and learn more about healthy eating and physical activity.
- Learn how to problem-solve and stay motivated.
The evidence–based Group Lifestyle BalanceTM program, adapted from the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP), is designed to help individuals make lifestyle changes to both prevent diabetes and prevent or treat the metabolic syndrome.